Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Aloha

I spent the Thanksgiving week in Hawaii. It was good to see the family. It was good just being there. I love Hawaii. I spent the entire week on Oahu. I had a good time, just kicking back.
 
I did some touristy things like hanging out in Waikiki, but mostly I chilled with my cousins in the hoods of Honolulu.
 
 
 
Waikiki beach
 
Diamond Head in the background
 
 
surfer dudes


the Royal Hawaiian
native dude in ceremonial garb


 
the crowd at Kapahulu groin

Kapahulu groin
 That's right. It's called the Kapahulu groin. It's a pier-like walkway in Waikiki that extends into the ocean. It is a good place for people watching. I saw plenty of nice bodies.
 
 
I spent a lot of time at the cultural center that my aunt runs. I love getting back to my roots. In LA I sometimes feel lost in the huge sprawl. The hoods of Honolulu feels homey. I almost didn't want to come back.
 

strumming the ukulele

 
 
One of my cousins gave me this cool tank top as a reminder that I almost got lost at sea. Among the things that I did on the trip was go boating. It's an island. Surrounded by water. How can you not do water activities.
 
Anyway, I dozed off on one occasion and my boat drifted. If my heroic cousin wasn't there to save me, I might be in Tahiti right now. Actually that wouldn't be so bad.
 
He gave me this tank with the image of an anchor to remind me that I need to get anchored. Maybe it's a metaphor for my life.
 
bringing home the goodies



don't fall asleep

 
 There are all sorts of restaurants and take out joints in every nook and cranny around Honolulu. These are the places that the tourists don't know about, but they serve some of the best food on the island. It seemed like I ate at everyone of them.





 

 
 
I am back now. And I feel rejuvenated in mind and in body. Well, maybe not entirely in body. I probably over indulged in island cuisine. Food and sun is a potent combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment